Monday, March 3, 2008

The Search is Over!

Today felt like spring just might be right around the corner. For the first time in many months, I didn't need a coat, hat, gloves or even a light jacket. I managed to get a short walk in at lunch. Not enough real exercise to do my body any noticeable good, but it was definitely good for my soul. I won't even mention tomorrow's forecast; much too depressing.

Okay, on to knitting. Ever since Paul gave me Elizabeth Zimmermann's The Knitting Workshop book and DVD for Christmas, I have been on a hunt. Her Aspen Leaf yoke sweater caught my eye and I wanted, no make that NEEDED to find that pattern. I've asked my other knitting friends and looked in several of her books. Finally, I crawled out from under my usual rock and found what I was looking for.

If anybody reading this happens to be a clueless as me (which I highly doubt could ever happen!), let me share what I just learned this week. When EZ's Wool Gathering newsletters sell out, Schoolhouse Press reprints the original design in a 1-page leaflet called Spun Out. Each of these designs costs only $1 (except for famed Baby Surprise Sweater which is $3). All the designs are listed on the website. And hallelujah, there was Aspen Leaf Yoke Sweater! That design also comes with her wonderful Rib Warmer. I ordered them and the Baby Surprise Jacket. (Incidentally, David Reidy has a pretty picture of his version of this on sticksandstrings.com in case you're interested in seeing it.) Lastly, I ordered Neck Down Sweaters. I'm excited to get them and learn more from our Grand Dame of the pointy sticks.

Speaking of EZ, I just have to say how much I really, really, really love watching her lessons. Her easy manner and no nonsense approach to our craft makes learning new techniques so easy and fun. I had previously attempted to learn continental knitting on countless occasions over the course of at least three years. Then in December as I watched Elizabeth demonstrate her speedy stitches in the very first lesson of the Knitting Workshop, everything clicked. I picked up the needles, made her suggested swatch hat and have not returned to throwing the yarn. Very cool and very satisfying.

Okay, that's it for this Monday.

No comments: