Monday, March 24, 2008

ADD Knitting

As a knitter I find myself jumping around. Case in point, this:

My FIRST lace project which really turned out NOT to be my first lace project. Since starting this scarf, about 3 years ago, I have completed many, many projects—socks, baby clothes, hats, sweaters, hand warmers, and the list goes on. And I also managed to complete another lace project: the Kitchen Curtain Lace Panel from Knit Picks.

So this little scarf was set aside for other, more exciting projects. Why? I'll admit that it's the new yarn that always gets me. If I have new yarn, the force to start knitting right away with it is usually too much, and I'll drop any WIP to start something new. (Does anybody else feel their mouth watering over new yarn???) I mean I could be sitting in a room with Elizabeth Zimmerman herself, being personally tutored on the seamless yoked sweater. And if an order of yarn came in, I would probably spend the next few minutes coming up with an excuse to put down my needles and leave the room (with new yarn tucked safely in my pocket). I can practically see the look on EZ's face as I fail to pull a fast one on her.

So what's so bad about knitting this lace scarf? Nothing! The yarn is Mission Falls 1824 cotton in a lovely shade called lentel.
It's soft and easy to work up. The 6-row pattern is repeated three times across. There was no sane reason to turn my back on this scarf. This weekend as our eyes met, and I realized just how pretty this was going to be, I found my place in the pattern and pressed on. It feels good, comfortable to be with this dear old friend. The anticipation about what lies ahead for us leaves me a bit giddy as I now turn my back on the mitten and the sweater vest to pledge my true allegiance to the lace scarf. (Can anyone else hear "America the Beautiful" playing quietly in the background?)

This being said, I have sock yarn coming from Knitnpurlgurl. So we'll see where I stand after that arrives! Somedays, being wishy-washy is my only consistency. :-)

3 comments:

Natalie Rush said...

Don't you love old friends. I totally understand what you mean about new yarn it is very hard to hold back but I make myself promise to finish the sock I'm knitting or the whatever before I cast on things. It's a hard rule but it's worked so far. I only have one project in the WIP pile that I haven't knit on in the last month. :)

The Lacy scarf is beautiful!! Hope you both have a lot of wonderful times together.

GoldenTracks said...

Kim,
The scarf is really pretty. I have a rule: No more than 2 projects on the needles at a time; but 1 is better.
I love lace knitting. I've tried socks, but the addiction didn't get me.

Paul said...

Hi Kim! I love that scarf. I'm thinking of doing more with cottons now that my internal temps are fueled by hot flashes. You must be a really talented, funny, loving person.
Addy