Monday, March 31, 2008

Favorite Projects

These chilly spring temperatures are allowing me a few more days to wear my cabled poncho.

This was one of my first projects after reviving my knitting skills that had hibernated for 25+ years. And it's still one of my favorite pieces. It's still the "if-the-house-was-burning-and-all-living-creatures-were-out-what-would-I-grab" piece. Made from Lopi Lite in my favorite shade of green, it always makes me smile.


The cabled panel was not difficult and I enjoyed my first venture into that aspect of texturing. The ribbed panel was long and laborious and caused me to set aside the project for several months. Pull your hair out boredom. That was before I started enjoying the process.

This past weekend left very little knitting time. Any free moments I found in the afternoon were spent napping as both Saturday and Sunday required early morning wake ups. But I did manage to finish the OLD lace scarf that was sitting around on needles for several years.

I really like this scarf, because it's Mission Falls cotton which means light weight and super soft. I cannot even tell you where I found the pattern. The 6 rows of instruction had been quickly scrawled onto an index card and that is it. No name, no designer, no reference as to gauge, no suggested length. Just a lace pattern to do with as I deemed fit.

One quick non-knitting story.
Yesterday when I got to church and settled in beside some of my favorite people, a woman came up to me and said, "You're Charlotte's mom!" (I tell you that dog has more friends that I have!) It turns out that the woman is the wife of a man we visit at the local adult day stay on Fridays. I met her on a couple of occasions, but was unaware that we went to the same church. She is very sweet, but so burdened with watching her husband's decline from dementia and parkinson's. He is a gentle, kind man who likes to give Char a scratch behind the ears. I am humbled when I think of their daily struggles.

Here's to a good week of happy knitting!

1 comment:

GoldenTracks said...

The sweater is really pretty.
Funny how you said you'd grab it 'if the critters were all out'. As I went to bed last night, I was thinking about, if the house was burning, how I'd get my needles and stash out......after the dogs though.